Looking back at my entry into the "What's in a Name?" reading contest, and checking what I've read so far this year, it turns out I am already halfway done.
Here is what I was going to read for each of the six categories:
- color: John Gray, Black Mass
- animal: Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses
- first name: Hermione Lee, Edith Wharton
- place: Fritz Stern, Five Germanys I Have Known
- weather event: Jonathan Coe, The Rain Before It Falls
- plant: Denis Johnson, Tree of Smoke
I am about a third of the way through the Edith Wharton biography, got about 25 pages into the Cormac McCarthy and decided to let it sit until summer, and have not read any of the other books listed, but I have read (and am linking to my blog entries):
- animal/color: Peter Spiegelman, Red Cat
- animal: Elmore Leonard, Cat Chaser
- first name: James Patterson, Mary Mary
I'll add the "What's in a Name" category tag to those entries too.